I’ll Have Another Out Of Contention For Triple Crown
There hasn’t been a triple Crown winner in horse racing in 34 years and there won’t be one this year either! A leg injury has taken the favorite, I’ll Have Another out of the Belmont Stakes and out of the running for the Triple Crown.
Yahoo news is reporting that there were indications this morning that something was amiss. Trainer Doug O’Neill took I’ll Have Another to the track for his morning jog hours earlier than he had been going for the past three weeks. O’Neill then left the Belmont track without speaking to the media. Rumors began to circulate late this morning that something was wrong with the horse, and O’Neill confirmed the shocking news on The Dan Patrick Show.
“It’s not tragic, but it’s a huge disappointment,” O’Neill told Patrick.
Saturday’s Belmont Stakes were highly anticipated, as I’ll Have Another was on the cusp of becoming the first horse since Affirmed in 1978 to win the Triple Crown. Never a favorite in any of his previous races, the three-year-old I’ll Have Another was a 4/5 favorite to win the final leg of the horse racing’s most elusive prize.
“It’s too bad,” said McPeek. “It’s a hard thing. I feel really bad for the connections. I feel terrible for them.
“Now,” McPeek said of Saturday’s race, “it’s wide open.”
I’ll Have Another is only the third Triple Crown aspirant to miss the Belmont Stakes due to injury. The others are Bold Venture in 1936 and Burgoo King in 1932.